I recommend letting your bananas get verrrry rotten first. I promise it will make the bread that much better (and after eating a bite, your husband will apologize for threatening 100x to throw them away).
Banana Bread with Bourbon, Chocolate, Walnuts & Coconut (adapted from A Cup of Jo)
2 cups all-purpose flour
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cup mashed, very-ripe bananas
1 tsp lemon juice
3 tbsp bourbon
1 cup-ish chopped walnuts
1 cup-ish chocolate chips (I use a mixture of milk & semi-sweet)
1/2 cup-ish unsweetened coconut, plus more for dusting on top prior to baking
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. With olive oil, grease your loaf pan. (I use a 9x5 inch pan, plus two smaller ones so I can share. Baking times will vary, but you can play with your pan sizes here.)
2. Sift together flour, salt and baking powder.
3. In mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar for 5 minutes, or until light and fluffy.
4. Add in eggs one at a time, whipping one minute after each addition. Scrape down bowl as needed.
5. Add bananas, lemon juice and bourbon. Beat until well-incorporated.
6. Add flour mixture all at once, and beat on low until almost incorporated.
7. Add in walnuts, coconut and chocolate, and mix on low (or stir) until just blended.
8. Spread in pan(s), sprinkle more coconut on top if you wish, and bake 30min - 1 hour, depending on your pan size. Remove when it looks finished, or when an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Cool for a few minutes, then invert on wire rack.
*Full disclosure. When my sweet mama broke her foot a few weeks ago, Luca and I whipped up a loaf and drove to visit her. While the banana bread didn't quite heal her bone right away, she assured me it did make her feel better. :)
Here are my two favorite ladies riding around Target. We sure are thankful for baby seats and motorized carts!