(Spicy) Chicken and Rice Soup (adapted from this recipe)
8 cups cold water
2 tsp "Better Than Bouillon" chicken base
3 chicken breasts (I used a small pack of TJ's chicken tenders)
2 bay leaves
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 red pepper, diced
1/2 cup diced carrots
1/4 cup diced celery
1.5 cup brown rice
1/4 tsp chili powder
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1. Whisk chicken stock base into water.
2. Combine chicken stock with all ingredients except brown rice in a large, heavy pot. Bring to a boil.
3. Reduce to simmer, then cook uncovered for 45 min. Remove chicken from pot and continue cooking broth for an additional 30 min or so. Shred chicken.
4. Raise heat and return to boil, then add rice. Reduce to simmer and cook, covered, for 20 min.
5. Stir chicken into soup, remove bay leaves, and serve - ideally with bread and salad.